Even if you are the type not to have a big yard, garden or even grass on your property, you have probably encountered weeds. If you do have any of the things mentioned before, then you must know all about the frustration these seemingly insignificant plants bring. Weeds are not only adding to the time and effort you put in maintaining your garden or grass, but it can also bring down the overall image of your home.
Although, there may be weeds in your garden or the park a few blocks away from your house that does not look as though they exist just to make your life harder or to spite you because of your gardening spirit. Some of you may not have realized they were weeds at all, especially if you have just begun an interest in gardening. This is what expert florist call, flowering weeds. They come in various shapes and sizes and may not be easily extinguished from flowers.
List of Flowering weeds
- Common Ragworts – these weeds may be beautiful to look at with lobed leaves in the color of blue or green, their star-shaped yellow flowers may fool you. What you should know is that these ragworts re-seed at a pretty fast rate and can easily spread across your garden or lawn. These flowering weeds may seem harmless, but they do produce toxins which is why you should make sure to use gloves when you try to remove them.
- Black Nightshades- If you have these flowering weeds in your lawn or garden, then you must have rich soil as these types of flowering weeds tend to grow on only really rich soil. These flowering weeds look as though they are bushy or climbing upwards and they have white or purple flowers. These flowering weeds are also known to bear fruits in red or purple colors. If you have these in your lawn or yard, it is best to remove them as this type of flowering weed is considered to be very poisonous in all aspects.
- Creeping Thistles – From the name itself, you may find these flowering weeds poking out of the grown like little creepers. They produce tiny flowers and their leaves are known to be very spiky. You should definitely remove these types of flowering weeds from your lawn before someone or you would accidentally step on them. It may take time and effort to remove these types of flowering weeds because you would need to use a daisy grubber or a fork.
- Creeping Buttercups – these types of flowering weeds are often found in damp soil. You should check your soil on a regular basis to know how well-drained it is. These weeds have bright yellow flowers, which are really not good for any hand bouquet or flower arrangement, so it is best to remove them immediately before they spread as they do it very quickly because of their root system.
- Dandelions- One of the most common type of flowering weeds. You may have encountered these little fluffy balls and had even made a wish on one. These types of flowering weeds start off as yellow flowers. These are easy to pick out because they grow a lot taller than most flowering weeds. They do not grow on thick and healthy grass, so you should definitely consider taking care of the grass on your lawn.
- Daisy Weeds- These are also one of the most common types of flowering weeds as they do, of course, resemble the flower they are named after. They have white petals and a yellow center. The only difference is that their leaves look like spoons. They are very hard to remove, it is as if everything about their being is tied to the ground. Use a daisy grubber to make it easier to remove them.
- Oxalis – You may be tempted to pick these flowering weeds and think you are lucky as they resemble a clover, and everyone knows a four-leaf clover is said to bring you good luck. If you look closer, these clover-like flowering weeds have yellow flowers. You can add mulch during spring to avoid them.
- Henbits- These types of flowering weeds are known to be winter annuals. They have pink or purple flowers that go along with their green foliage. They are pretty easy to remove, and you can do so by using your hands, although the longer you wait, the harder it would be as they would begin to take over. You can always use a post-emergent herbicide if you have a hard time removing them.
- Wild Violets – These flowering weeds produce flowers in the color of white or lavender. These types of flowering weeds may look pretty but they are still bad for the other plants and flowers in your garden. They appear in thin lawns and can get pretty difficult if you just leave them be.
These are just some of the common types of flowering weeds that are most likely growing in your lawn or garden without you being aware of it. They may be able to track your eyes and you may find them alluring but these flowering weeds can get pretty dangerous in the long run, so you should remove them as quickly as possible before they take over your lawn and not only destroy your soil but also other plants and flowers you have.