Baby’s breath flowers are naturally white in color. There are some varieties that come in light yellow or pink too. However, florists in Singapore may add a touch of color to baby’s breath flowers by spraying them with dye. Tinted baby’s breath flowers are popular and used for many different types of events.
Every color of baby’s breath flowers also has symbolic meaning too. Nowadays, you can purchase colorful rainbow bouquets of baby’s breath from your local florist in Singapore. Baby’s breath flowers now come in blue, red, orange, and purple. Each has its own symbolism.
Meaning of different colors of baby’s breath flowers
- White baby’s breath- The most natural color of baby’s breath flowers is symbolic of innocence and spirituality. It is widely used as a hand bouquet in weddings or centerpieces and headpieces. Baby’s breath flowers can also be used in bridal parties as well as in baby showers.
- Pink baby’s breath- If you’re throwing a baby reveal party, you can incorporate pink baby’s breath flowers to show you are having a baby girl. Pink is a symbol of gentleness and love. You can also use pink baby’s breath flowers in a bouquet you give to a girl you adore and respect.
- Purple baby’s breath- We have seen brides incorporate purple baby’s breath flowers in their wedding bouquet and décor. It is a regal color that symbolizes nobility, beauty, and royalty. It can also be given as a gift for someone you admire.
- Blue baby’s breath- This color is representative of trust and respect. This is frequently used for baby showers but can also be given as a gift.
- Red baby’s breath- Red has always been a symbolism of true love and romance. This is likewise for red baby’s breath flowers. We often see red roses with white baby’s breath more than red-tinted baby’s breath as the latter looks more apt for the holiday spirit. However, you can incorporate red baby’s breath as a centerpiece too.
- Yellow baby’s breath- There are naturally yellow baby’s breath flowers but the hue is very faint. You may opt for yellow tinted baby’s breath flowers instead. This color symbolizes happiness and joy. It can be incorporated into a friendship bouquet or used in happy events like weddings.
- Orange baby’s breath- These flowers symbolize joy and optimism. It is a good gift to give relatives or friends.
Symbolism of Baby’s breath flowers
Baby’s breath also has different symbolisms and one of them is eternal love and pure love. For this reason, many favor this type of flowers in baby showers and wedding ceremonies. Its symbolism of purity and innocence also makes it suitable for use in Christian ceremonies. It can also be given in a flower arrangement for a new mom. However, keep in mind that human babies can get allergic to baby’s breath and so can adults.
How to dye baby’s breath flowers?
Professional florists utilize various techniques to add color to natural blooms. Baby’s breath flowers are some of the best-looking flowers when dyed in different hues. When dried, it makes for great scrapbooks and shadow box displays too. For an intense hue on your baby’s breath flowers, here are some techniques a florist can do and you can try too:
- Food coloring- You may have food coloring in your kitchen right now and try to use this technique. You can cut the ends of the stems and let them drink up the colored water. Do note that the color may not be so bright. At most, you may get a faded hue. If that is what you’re going after, by all means, try this technique. If you want a darker hue, add more food coloring and leave the flowers in colored water overnight.
- Spray dye- You can purchase metallic floral sprays online to achieve a more intensified hue on your baby’s breath flowers. Do not use regular spray paint on baby’s breath or any flowers for that matter. Floral sprays are gently-formulated so as not to harm the delicate flowers. You can use a special air brush tool to color the fresh-cut flowers. Once the paint dries, you can add the flower to the arrangement you desire.
- Dip method- You can also dip the baby’s breath blooms in water with food coloring and alum. Place the blooms flower side down on the mixture to bathe it in color, then shake off the remaining drops of water, and hang the flowers to dry. This is what you can do if you want a more saturated hue.
Dyed, tinted, or colored baby’s breath flowers make lovely gifts for any occasion. It can also spark creative ideas when crafting or even when decorating. You can use different colors of baby’s breath flowers for the event you have in mind. From weddings and baby showers to parties, you have many places to use baby’s breath flowers.
It is vital to replace the water in the vase every day to avoid expediting the wilting process. Be aware that the smell of water where you place the baby’s breath can turn foul quickly especially if you used a flower food solution. You may also need to make a fresh cut on the end of the stems to ensure the flowers will continue to drink up after replacing the vase with new water. Also, opt to use lukewarm water.